2. Keynote speakers, hosts and conference committee
- “Academic Research on IDPs: Trends, Gaps, Possibilities”
Professor Elizabeth Ferris, Director of the Institute for the Study of International Migration, Georgetown University, USA
- “From Displacement to Solutions: Pathways to Break Patterns of Protracted Internal Displacement”
Robert Piper, Special Adviser on Solutions to Internal Displacement, Office of the United Nations Secretary General
The Internal Displacement Research Programme is based at the Refugee Law Initiative, a unique academic centre promoting interdisciplinary research, teaching and exchange on law, policy and practice in displacement contexts. As a national focal point for leading and promoting research in this field, the RLI works to integrate the shared interests of scholars and practitioners, stimulate collaboration between these fields, and achieve policy impact at the national and international level.
As part of the UN Secretary-General’s Action Agenda on Internal Displacement, he created a time-bound position of Special Adviser on Solutions to Internal Displacement. The Office of the Special Adviser, established in June 2022, serves as the UN’s prime advocate on solutions and is tasked with helping drive a change in the approach to solutions within and outside the UN system. The Secretary-General appointed Robert Piper to serve as the Special Adviser in May 2022.
- Professor David Cantor, Director of the Internal Displacement Research Programme / RLI
- Greta Zeender, Head of Research, Office of the UNSG Special Advisor on Solutions
- Dr Bríd Ní Ghráinne (Maynooth University, Ireland)
- Dr Lidia Kuzemska (Forum Transregionale Studien, Germany)